Thursday, April 29, 2010

Birthday Philosophy


  My grandpa quietly turned 89 years young yesterday!  I say quietly because he doesn't mention to anyone that it's his birthday.  My brother spent all day with him yesterday and didn't even realize it was his birthday.
  last night after dinner, my husband and I called my grandpa to wish him "happy birthday" and the first words out of my grandpa's mouth were "thanks, you know I used to love you and now I don't (followed by a little evil chuckle)", of course he was joking.
  He quickly reminded me that he doesn't have birthdays.  I asked him "why?"
he replied : "Birthdays make you older, I don't feel older, so I don't have them", "can't get older if you don't have birthdays", "age is just a number anyway, it doesn't represent how I feel".
  I replied:  "I think I'll adopt that philosophy, I don't want to age so I'll stop having birthdays too!"
  He replied:  " That's right!  Don't pay attention to the number!"
 
  By the way, as you can probably tell, my grandpa is a lot younger than his 89 years!

2 comments:

Elizabeth {sunny bug} said...

Awe, Happy Birthday to your grandpa! I love reading things like this - unfortunately I lost my grandpa this year to cancer. Although we all knew it was coming, one is never prepared for such a loss. Your post made me smile and remember. Thanks for following Sunny Bug World - I'm following you as well :) Have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

it's my philosophy too. "age is just a number." but i celebrate my birthday, if only for the feel of it.

More cool stuff

Visits from my friends

Powered By Blogger

AddThis

Bookmark and Share

Layout for all