Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Big, But Not So Surprising News

The "big" day for us was yesterday. No, we didn't renew wedding vows or have a child. Nothing like that, but life altering just the same. As I mentioned in a previous post, my husband has been feeling sick the past four days. We could not see his doctor until yesterday. My husband has a fear of doctors and a morbid fear of needles (it's even stated in his medical records!).
Husband and our pug Lilly resting at home!

So, getting him to the doctor is no small feat! It took a lot of convincing and calming just to get him in the door! After speaking with the doctor about his symptoms the past week, the doctor then told us he was about 100% sure my husband has Diabetes. But, to confirm the Diabetes diagnosis, he of course had to draw blood which of involves needles! It was at this point my husband started sweating and declared loaudly "no way", "can't do it!" We both tried to calm him down, when that didn't work, a nurse was brought in to also try to calm his fears. After only a few minutes of this, my husband was already breathing too fast and sweating buckets!

It took all three of us about 20 minutes and tears streaming down my face
to convince him to do it! It wasn't even going to be drawing blood, all they needed to do was "prick" his finger. Just a "prick" was enough to set off his fear!

The nurse went ahead and got the test kit, and started rubbing his hand, while I held his other hand and was talking to him. My husband even grabbed my hand and put it in his mouth so he could bite down when he got stuck, I couldn't believe it!

In a second it was over. I thought the worst was over, but I was wrong. All of a sudden I saw my husband's face go completely white, his lips turned a purple-ish color, his eyes rolled back into his head, and I had to literally lean over him to catch him from falling off the examination bed!

After everything was over, he passed out while laying there. The nurse was in the hall right outside the door, so I yelled "we've got problems!" She came right back in with the doctor, my husband regained conscienceness, and was given cold compresses.

After another 1 1/2 hours of "recovery", we were given the diagnosis of "type 2 Diabetes".

There is no history of Diabetes in my family, so I've never had to deal with it. It will be a challenge for both us, but we will prevail!

2 comments:

Stacy Uncorked said...

I'm so sorry about your hubby's diagnosis - my brother-in-law just received the same diagnosis even though he doesn't have a history of diabetes in his family, either. ((HUGZ!!))

On a lighter note, my hubby has the same aversion to doctor's offices that your hubby does... ;)

Barb said...

I'm sorry about your news. I have been type two for about 7 years. It sucks but it's doable. With such an aversion to getting stuck, I'm assuming he won't be much for self monitoring of blood sugar, but he can just get an A1C test done every 3 months.
Good luck to him. There's lots of info and help out there on the web. Check out the ADA website.

More cool stuff

Visits from my friends

Powered By Blogger

AddThis

Bookmark and Share

Layout for all