Friday, January 24, 2014

Amazing Alaska Part 2

 

 There's nothing like waking up to a beautiful glacier in Tracy Arm fjord Alaska in the morning!  I took this photo from the balcony of our cabin, we even witnessed the glacier calving, truly a once in a lifetime experience!

  Our next port was Alaska's capital Juneau. With Juneau being the capital of Alaska, I expected I to be a "big city" but it much more quaint, had more of a small town feel.
 
While my brother and dad explored a few bars and shops in Juneau, my mom and I boarded a bus for an expedition to the Mendenhall glacier in Mendenhall Valley, besides seeing the glacier, we both really wanted to see bears.  We had been told by people in town that we were there at the perfect time to see bears due to the salmon spawning and the bears preparing for hibernation.  My mom and I got as close to the glacier as we were permitted and took a few shots.
 
We did see two bear cubs, but they ran across the road too fast to get a picture.  I got a couple of shots of this cute little porcupine though!  So sweet!
 


 
With our sight seeing in Juneau done we headed back to our ship for a great dinner, wonderful entertainment, a good night sleep and on to Skagway!

No comments:

More cool stuff

Visits from my friends

Powered By Blogger

AddThis

Bookmark and Share

Layout for all