Saturday, June 26, 2010

"Grandma-isms"

  It seems like ever since my grandma passed away last January, I find myself repeating some things she used to say to my brother and I when we were little. 
  When I cook and it seems like it takes "forever" for a pot of water to boil I find myself saying "a watched pot never boils", my grandma bestowed this wise observation on me when I was just learning to cook.  For the most part it definitely feels true.
  Our 2 pugs are "our children".  Our youngest pug Lilly (she's 3 years old), besided she wanted to play instead of go to bed at around 11pm last night.  My husband had to work this morning so he went ahead and went to bed.  With my husband and other pug in bed, that left me with Lilly.  Lilly decided to run circles around the first floor of our house while i chased her in hopes of tiring her out.  Yeah right!  Lilly then raced into the kitchen and quickly started to kick her bowl into the oven, making a loud "BANG" sound , meaning she had worked up an appetite now!  I gave her just a few kibble to satisfy her (this usually works, then she goes to sleep).  Well my plan didn't work this time.  It was now just after 12 a.m. and she was demanding to go outside, we don't have a fenced in yard, so this means of course that I have to walk her outside.   Lilly does her "business", I bring her in.  I picked her up and sat her on my lap for a little bit (which usually calms her down), no luck.  She jumped off my lap and started yet another race around the house complaete with and occasional toy tossing.  Now, we were looking at 2 a.m and thats when my grandma's wisdom again came into mind.  I looked into Lilly's face and told her "I love you, but I don't love your ways".
   "I love you but I don't love your ways" was always used by my grandma when my brother or I (usually my brother) got into some kind of mischief.
  It amazes me how much impact just one person can have on your life and how things can get repeated through the generatiions.

P.S  Lilly did finally calm down just after 2 a.m.

No comments:

More cool stuff

Visits from my friends

Powered By Blogger

AddThis

Bookmark and Share

Layout for all